The Finance Director will take responsibility for all commercial, financial aspects of Henley
Business School, South Africa. Working closely with and reporting to the Dean, the Director will
ensure that the highest standards are achieved and maintained and that resources are utilised
effectively and aligned appropriately to support the long-term growth and development of the
Business School in South Africa.
The post holder will provide leadership to and take line management responsibility for the finance
staff and within this team will ensure that day to day operations function to the highest standards
and with the right human capital, processes and controls to drive success.
The post holder will also be expected to contribute significantly to the future growth and
development of the Business School by working closely with and providing advice and guidance
to the Dean to ensure that the strategic priorities, goals and objectives are identified, implemented
The strategic direction of the Business School is set by the Board and implemented by the Senior
Management team. The Finance Director will be a key member of the senior management team
and will work closely with the Dean in successfully implementing the strategic objectives of Henley
Business School in South Africa.
It is important that the post holder is able to translate vision into achievable goals and objectives
whilst retaining alignment with strategic objectives and ensuring growth is measured and
Duties and responsibilities cover areas of strategic management as well as day to day
management in Finance.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Work closely with the Dean to establish, implement and deliver the strategic goals and
objectives of Henley Business School in South Africa.
• Establish an integrated financial strategy for the Business School, focusing on financial
efficiency and effectiveness whilst maintaining the highest standards of customer and
client service, to enhance profitability.
• Undertake strategic business planning and reviews with the Dean to produce accurate
and achievable plans; with focus on ensuring that the strategic goals for the business are
managed and executed to budget.
• Oversee the planning process, ensuring deadlines are met and participants in the planning
process have sufficient advance notice to meet their obligations.
• Plan, create, direct, guide and focus all aspects of finance in accordance with the strategic
and the annual business plans.
• Represent the company and its values in its relationships with major customers, suppliers,
commercial and investment groups and professional bodies.
• Provide commercial leadership across all areas of the business and ensure that all staff are
fully informed of operational and financial objectives, priorities are clear and coordination
between teams is good. Develop protocols to ensure that all business decisions are
commercially sound and implement appropriate risk management protocols in the business to
protect the assets and improve the margins of the business. A focus on implementing
commercial best practice around:
o Completion of contracts and third-party agreements
o Pricing of tenders and customer proposals
o Margin security of proposals
o Customer settlement protocols
o Risk management
o Foreign exchange risk management (for international supplies)
• Support the Business Development team and the Executive Education Director and drive the
sales activities of the business with sound commercial input around alternative pricing
methodologies, costing and pipeline management.
• Utilizing appropriate technology develop a methodology for programme managers to better
manage the profitability of their programmes on a real time basis and equip them with the tools
to ensure that programmes are delivered on, or under budget.
• Work closely with Programme Managers to secure economies of scale, best practice and to
provide flexibility of resource.
• Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, SLA’s and other financial commitments.
• Review and authorise all costing and pricing models.
• Work with the Dean and core management team to explore and develop new business
• Identify funding opportunities.
• Ensure systems, structures and resources are in place to support the development of Henley
Business School, South Africa. To maintain, review and develop the necessary processes
and procedures for the service to evolve and reach new standards.
• Provide leadership and direct line management to individual members of staff and department
heads. Ensure that all staff are fully informed of operational and financial objectives that
priorities are clear and coordination between teams is good.
• Work closely with departments to secure economies of scale, best practice and to provide
flexibility of resource.
• Establish well documented and understood operational and financial processes and that there
is an established culture of continual process improvement. Ensure that all operational
processes and procedures are in line with organisational, statutory, legal and contractual
• Work across internal divisions within the wider University and Henley International to ensure
we continue our never-ending journey to give our customers a world class “Henley
• Accountable for the full financial management and accounting function for Henley Business
School in South Africa, working closely with the Finance Manager in South Africa who has day
to day responsibility for financial transactions and accountancy matters.
• Maintain a broad understanding of the University financial procedures and work closely where
required with the Henley Business School and University Finance teams in the UK.
• Work with the Finance Manager to ensure that the financial and revenue processes and
reporting mechanisms are simplified and provide accurate and timely management
intelligence; ensure completion of the annual financial audit and preparation of annual financial
statements with recommendations to management; ensure accurate financial reporting is
provided to the Board, which identifies and reports on key business successes and indicators.
• Authorise various capital and general expenditure and have oversight of operating expenditure
• Provide leadership and direct line management to finance staff.
• Authorise all payments generated by the financial system and on internet banking.
Reports to the Dean and director and/or his designated authority; regular contact will be maintained
but the post holder will be expected to work primarily on their own initiative in liaison with other units
within the Management team in South Africa and the wider Henley Business School and University of
The post holder be responsible for the management of the finance staff and will be expected to provide
leadership for this team; with the autonomy to decide SLA’s and KPI’s for the collective team.
Direct and regular contact with various departments of Henley Business School and the University of
Reading, other international associates and various senior external stakeholders, customers and
Terms and conditions
This post is full time. There are no set hours of work although the Business School operates standard
office hours. This role requires the flexibility to work outside of these hours including some evenings
and weekends to attend events or meet with customers and clients.
This document outlines the duties required for the time being of the post to indicate the level of
responsibility. It is not a comprehensive or exhaustive list and the line manager may vary duties from
time to time which do not change the general character of the job or the level of responsibility entailed.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified within two weeks of the closing date.
More information on the profile here.