GORDON INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS SCIENCE PROFESSOR AND DEAN
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite
applications for the following vacancy.The University of Pretoria is a leading research university in South Africa and one of the
largest in the country. The University prides itself on producing well-rounded, creative
graduates and responsible, productive citizens and future leaders. Research at UP is at the
apex of the University’s long-term strategic plan, UP 2025, which is to be a leading researchintensive university in Africa. Equally important is the University’s international visibility and
the impact of its research, innovation and teaching and learning on socio-economic
development in South Africa and in the region.
The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) is a dynamic,
growing, internationally accredited business school offering a comprehensive range of
academic, executive and outreach programmes from its custom-built campus in
Johannesburg, South Africa’s economic hub. GIBS is ranked by the UK Financial Times for
both its academic and executive education programmes.
The University seeks to appoint a Dean that will be dynamic and will demonstrate visionary
leadership, strategic thinking and an ability to execute plans successfully. The Dean must
have a strong academic record, including a doctoral degree and strong links with industries,
organisations and/or educational institutions in business. The Dean must possess the
requisite qualifications and experience to be appointed in this role. The Dean is assisted by
appropriate management and support structures.
- The Dean ensures that GIBS continues to be considered by the business community
as a leading business school on the continent, offering world-class teaching and
- The Dean should promote a positive organisational culture aligned with the
University’s value system, specifically human dignity, tolerance, diversity and nonalienation;
- In addition to being a representative for the School to external constituencies, the
Dean is the chief academic, administrative and financial officer, and together with the
Executive team, provides strategic leadership for the School;
- The Dean ensures the efficient administration of the School. This will include
compliance with the various rules and related regulations at the University, including
those relating to continuing education, consultation, contract research and outside
employment, as well as the University’s code of conduct;
- While academic matters of the School are dealt with via the University Senate, the
Dean reports to the School’s board on administrative and financial matters;
- The Dean is responsible for building partnerships with individuals, business and other
institutions nationally and internationally;
- The Dean participates in University-wide activities such as scheduled meetings with
the University management, Senate meetings and, where appropriate, appointment
committee meetings, graduation ceremonies and planning initiatives.
- A doctoral degree and academic achievements that would warrant appointment at
least at an associate professorial level by the University of Pretoria;
- Demonstrated ability to provide open and collegial-style leadership;
- The ability to develop strong relationships with business and other institutions and
- Proven administrative experience related to organisations and/or educational
institutions in business.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL
- Strong leadership traits: The incumbent should be a leader that is able to develop,
together with the leadership of the business school as a whole, a coherent vision that
is imaginative and practical and supports the overall strategy of the University;
- Good interpersonal skills and commitment to the transformation of South African
- Skills in effective communication and a deep commitment to the purpose and
entrepreneurial spirit of the School;
- A person who is committed to diversity in all its forms.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Sufficient experience in management in a higher education institution and/or business
school will be a very strong recommendation.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with
the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
The Dean is appointed for a term of five (5) years. Applicants who are short-listed will be
required to make a brief presentation to the Faculty Board with regard to their vision for the
The Regulation and Procedure for the Appointment of Deans and Deputy-Deans is available
on the UP Website www.up.ac.za at Careers@UP (Link: Appointment regulations for
Executives and Deans). By applying, applicants consent to the appointment process as
contained in the Regulation.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- a comprehensive CV detailing academic and professional qualifications as well as full
- the names, email addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have
permission to contact;
- the names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
- a self-evaluation by the applicant of his/her suitability for appointment in the post; and
- the applicant’s vision for the Gordon Institute of Business Science in the national as
well as international contexts.
CLOSING DATE: 30 September 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least
the minimum requirements.
Letticia Jooste, Tel: 012 420 6921, email: email@example.com.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 20 December 2019, please accept that
your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity
goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from underrepresented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All
candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.