Wits Business School, Director and Head of School
The Wits Business School (WBS) is an internationally recognised business school based in Africa’s economic heartland, Johannesburg. It has over 50 years of experience in business education and continues to spearhead innovation, teaching and research excellence in South Africa.
WBS continues to draw in students from leading businesses in Johannesburg and throughout the continent. We are continuously assessing our course offerings. We offer a full spectrum of diploma, MBA, Masters of Management and doctoral degree qualifications. The School recently introduced new programmes in Digital Business, Energy Leadership and Philanthropy. The School also runs an extensive executive education programme.
The WBS is looking to recruit, for a period of 5 years (renewable), a Director and Head of School who will be based on the Parktown campus in Johannesburg. This is the top leadership role within the Wits Business School, which is part of the Faculty of Commerce Law & Management of the University of the Witwatersrand.
The key responsibilities and objectives of this role will include:
• Provide strategic leadership, academic vision and intellectual leadership to enable the WBS to maintain and grow its position of excellence
• Lead and manage an experienced executive team as well as academic professionals
• Manage the school in all its dimensions: financial, human resources, administration and relations with the University
• Create a culture of collaboration with accountability for managing resources and increasing reach
• Build strong partnerships with leading corporations and institutions in South Africa, Africa, and the rest of the world to strengthen the reputation, standing and impact of WBS
• Lead the Business School in championing the University’s mission of transforming the University as part of the country’s transformation project
• Support the University’s goal to make Wits University a leading research institution on the continent
A politically astute, experienced, inspirational and resilient leader, the Director will have the professional standing and experience so as to command the respect and trust of members of the school, the University, and the business community. Ideally, s/he will have experience at the highest management level, including financial management, within an academic institution or a respected corporation. The successful candidate will have:
• Either, a solid academic background (a PhD) and 10 years of leadership experience in the higher education sector in a relevant discipline; or a proven track record of leadership in the top echelons of business and experience in business and leadership development
• Deep understanding of South Africa’s and Africa’s business environments
• A passion for business and business education
• International experience
• Proven track record of managing complex teams in ever changing environments
Submit a covering letter together with a CV that includes the name, address and contact details (as well as e-mail addresses) of three referees, by registering your profile on the Wits I-Recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
Enquiries: Dean, Professor Imraan Valodia
Closing date: 4 May 2020
Individuals from previously disadvantaged population groups are encouraged to apply. The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found. Should you not receive a reply within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.